What is massage therapy?
- Massage Therapy is the manual manipulation of soft tissues in the body, which include muscle fibres, tendons/attachments & fascia/connective tissue.
- I use various advanced techniques appropriate for the individual to release tension in their body’s soft tissue.
- I specialise in myofascial release, trigger point therapy & muscle attachment release.
- Releasing tension from your body's soft tissues, facilitates a neutral resting sate in the body which enables optimal health & vitality.
Why? (For the science nerds, like me)
Day to day most of us are engaged in our sympathetic nervous system - our flight or fight response. Stress hormones pump through our body ready to react to our perceived threats. This creates both unhealthy & unnecessary stress & tension in our bodies. It is so important to create balance in our lives by teaching & training our bodies & minds to be in our parasympathetic nervous system, which is a healthy resting state that enables our bodies to repair & rejuvenate.
- Massage gives you years to your life and life to your years
- Healthy long term pain-free movement, as old habits are replaced by new freedoms.
- Enables us to be in our bodies & out of our heads!
- Increased circulation of blood & nutrients to muscle fibres - keeping them healthy & supple
- Increased flexibility - length in your walking or running stride
- Increased mobility - putting your shoes on in the morning / moving well in your gym class / comfortable in your own skin
- Increased energy - we all want some of this! Energy is used to keep tension in your muscles therefore by releasing tension it frees up more energy for you to use as you choose!
- Better posture – musculoskeletal balance, decrease pain increase comfort & ease
- Improved breathing - increases health, energy & productivity reduces stress
- Improved neurosomatic awareness & proprioception - decreases chance of injury
- Clarity of mind, feel refreshed - like after a dip in the ocean at Bondi! Yes PLEASE :)
- De-stress and reduce anxiety
- Feel good about ourselves & our bodies
- Improve awareness to enable change
- Practice mindfulness
A note from Jessie
My inspiration comes from my personal rehabilitation experience, a journey that has lead to a lifelong education of improved body awareness leading to empowerment & the ability to discern intelligent decisions to allow for optimal health & wellbeing in my life, which for me became about being able to move & live without pain.
When I was 14 I was in physiotherapy rehabilitation classes with 60 year olds! - Nothing against any 60 year olds out there but I felt a little out of place. The thought of having similar pain & back problems as 60 year olds at 14 wasn’t very appealing to me… there has to be something I can do about this. Movement & playing sport were very important to me, & pain-free movement & the ability to "move well" became very important too. Through a long journey of treatment, education & intelligent decisions I am pain-free!!!
I truly believe in early-prevention & Long term health staying well takes less effort & is much easier in the long run than back peddling & battling through pain & injury. Muscle imbalances due to poor posture, lack of awareness & education contribute to many people's musculoskeletal pain & discomfort that does't need to be there!
With absolute clarity & authenticity I'd love to share the knowledge I've accumulated over the last 15 plus years to help facilitate in keeping you young, vibrant & full of life & energy, away from the zimmer frame & any hip or knee or other nasty surgeries for as long as possible! to keep people moving well & pain-free.
Cheers ! Jessie x